Felt a little brave today and decided to attempt a 10.5.6 upgrade of my machine on the first day of the OS release. Using the directions that I’ve posted about before, I was able to successfully upgrade with only a couple of gotchas.
Remember – backup everything first! I again used SuperDuper and my handy-dandy Acom Firewire drive to ensure that I could bring back my existing setup.
Now the differences:
First – Just like in the 10.5.5 upgrade, there was no need to edit the /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 file.
Second – once again I lost audio (and silly enough I forgot to back up my kext files again! So the SuperDuper came to the rescue again!) However, I could not simply follow the same instructions for upgrading to 10.5.4 get the situation fixed. As the kext files/directories already existed. Now there is a way mentioned in the OSx86 forums on how to modify the vanilla kext files to allow for the ALC889A audio chip to work. However, it required more than 15 minutes of concentration on my part. Instead, I simply renamed the existing kext directories and replaced them with my backup ones. The system threw an error within a minute saying that the machine could not use the kexts and I should contact the manufacter. At this point I followed the directions (all the chmod and rm commands) in the upgrading to 10.5.4 article dealing with the audio kext. I then shutdown and booted the machine with -v and everything came up.
For now, everything seems to be running fine!
Good luck on your upgrade!
Edit: After I posted this, I noticed a lot of traffic regarding patching your DSDT because of the new AppleRTC.kext. I have not patched mine and my system has yet to panic. I may have to do the patching over the weekend just to be on the safe side – or maybe sooner if things go south. I found an easy to follow guide on the ihackintosh blog. I might use that one this weekend.
JT: Just a quick note – this article uses some possibly archaic processes. If you want up to date info – look to the OSx86 Project.